Wednesday, November 27, 2013

a Cliché Thanksgiving post

I've got a lot for which to be thankful. One in particular is that I get to blog while my wife packs up the kid in the car for our trip to Virginia Beach. I tell her at least weekly, I've got a much easier job as a pastor than she does! But as we wind up things here at the church before closing I was reminded during my prayer today of the Apostle Paul's words to the church at Philippi:

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now."

What joy and thanksgiving this one church gave Paul! I mean Paul had seen great suffering in his life, particularly while writing this letter in prison. Paul had also seen great things from the salvation of sinners, miraculous healings and works, to the planting of hundreds of churches, not to mention witnessing the resurrected Christ. Paul had truly seen it all! And yet, what great joy and thanksgiving this church at Philippi gave him. One church, one people, engaged in one mission: the advancement of the gospel. There seemingly wasn't anything flashy or outstanding about this church, nothing about it drew great attention or acclaim from the world. But for Paul their simply partnership in the gospel was the source of tremendous joy, for which He thanked God every time he prayed.


Brothers and sisters of Lake Gaston Baptist, what great joy it is to live life together for the sole purpose of the advancement of the gospel. I have to admit it's easy to get distracted by this or that, to get stressed out about this issue or that one, to get worn down by the constant grind. But Paul's words are a great reminder that a church who is committed to the work of the gospel is worth its weight in gold! I'm thankful for you. I'm thankful for your love and support for me and my family. I'm thankful for your submission and service. I'm thankful most of all for just the simple opportunity to partner with you in the gospel.

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment